Tuesday 14 June 2011

My TV obsession

Ok, so I have to talk about my obsession with TV because its just who I am. I grew up in NY where we had 24 hours of lots of channels to watch and plenty of educational programs that I watched continuously from the age of 5. After I left the States, the TV withdrawal was horrific. I cannot even begin to explain it. But with the dawn of the internet and Sky television, my hunger for specifically American dramas just grew and grew! I make excuses about it now, because I want to write for TV. I will be starting a writing for television module at University in the next year or so. So my obsession is justified. Its homework!

My current favourite has to be Game of Thrones. I am reading the book and watching Game of Thrones series.  The first book is fantastic. Its been such a journey and reading it alongside watching it is so enriching. They can't put every detail into the TV series, so I love reading the characters thoughts and little stories intertwined into the main story. I enjoy reading fantasy novels anyway, this is heavily about war and politics but the little spices of magic and dragons thrown in make it really enjoyable. The details are very clever and the author has clearly worked hard at defining each of the characters. It really reminded me of the Belgariad and the Mallorean written by David Eddings. Those are my favourite fantasy series I have to say. Maybe one day I'll be writing my own!



1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! I'm also obsessed with tv, but I'm not much for the fantasy genre. I love old shows, like sitcoms from the '60's and '70's, some game shows, and, I'm ashamed to say, a lot of reality tv...now that I think of it, about the only time the tv isn't on in my house is if I'm listening to music, which is another obsession..that's awesome to have grown up in New York! That's one of the places I've always wanted to visit. Congrats on your chosen career! That's awesome! It would be a dream come true to make a living with writing..good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete