Wednesday 6 July 2011

Back again! More about tv, anyone?

OK, so I am trying really hard to keep blogging and not give up just because I only have 6 followers. These things take time, and I am willing to wait. I have been so busy anyway, family visiting, my daughter's fourth birthday, my ten year anniversary, a massive barbecue this weekend and preparing for my trip with my husband to Bath for our first time away on our own for a whole weekend without the kids!

Enough about me, I want to write more about the television viewing I have managed to squeeze in over the last few days. There was another episode of Mildred Pierce on Saturday.

 It was a difficult one to watch as she goes through the motions of her divorce and the tragedy of death. Kate Winslet obviously brings a lot of herself into this character. When she breaks down while discussing her divorce with her husband the pain on her face is so real. So I can see this series starting to get better already.

I am still not convinced by the actress playing her older daughter Veda, I'd rather they speed it along until she is replaced by Evan Rachel Wood.

I am also watching a new series on TV called the Talk. Looks exactly like Loose Women which is also based on Barbara Walter's original show, The View. We've never been able to watch the view over here in England which is an absolute shame. Loose Women is ok if you watch loads of soaps and love celebrity news but seriously I would like something with a bit more to chew on. The View has been notorious for its political banter and they have really impressed me with the topics they talk about. We need something like that, where its like The Wright Stuff but with only women! I'm pretty sure British women aren't as thick as what's represented by the lousy demographic on Loose Women!

I'm looking forward to watching some more Felicity later, reminiscing about the 90's and my student days while I catch up on my ironing. So what are you watching at the moment? I'd love my new blogger friends to post something about what they love watching on TV. Call it research. Tell me what you want to see a drama about that no-one else has done yet!

3 comments:

  1. I'm with you, I love tv! I watch The View every morning..some days it's better than others. I love Whoppi Goldberg and Joy Behar...I find myself wanting to strangle Elisabeth Hasselbeck and Sheri Shepard I find is neither here nor there..she's just sort of like filler.
    I've seen The Talk a couple of times and I don't really like that one...they don't seem to ever talk about anything, even though there's a lot of talking going on! Know what I mean?
    I've never heard of Loose Women, we don't see that one in Canada..
    Do you see The Bachlorette? I also watch America's Got Talent, American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance....I know, I watch way too much tv! Oh! Celebrity Apprentice is good too..
    Don't worry about having 6 followers..I had 3 for the longest time..and now, after almost a year, I think I'm up to 30-something, I thought it would be more by now...it does take time. I wonder about the people who have hundreds of followers! I can't figure out what's so special about a lot of them..they don't seem to do anything different, or better than you and I do..it's weird..Have a groovy day Groovy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Firstly, the only way I have built up followers is by commenting on lots of blogs regularly--and that takes lots of time. Ugh--who has lots of time? Sometimes I am able to go off and read loads of blogs and leave comments and at other times I can barely get posts up on my own blog!

    Now for the TV shows. I haven't watched much TV lately. We record things and come back to them later like Grand Designs or Gardner's World (obviously looking for inspiration with those two!), or Sunday evening we watch Countryfile with the whole family--not the most exciting show but as an expat it helps me understand the country in a way that newspapers and most TV doesn't. and as for the rest of the family I think it helps them know more about their country as well.

    Very few dramas catches our attention but when one does we really really get into it! I'm in the mood for a good series right now, actually...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Groovy Mum, don't worry about how many followers you have - keep blogging!! I'm interested to hear all about your study being a mature-aged student myself (somewhat more mature than yourself!). I so wanted to watch Mildred Pierce when it was on over here but it was on a chanel I don't get on cable and I'm sorry I missed it.

    ReplyDelete